I’ve had a bit of a thing for Breton tops for a while now, and the prospect of making one (or five) has been percolating for a few months. This week I finally made one!
Since I was in a bit of a classic clothing mood I also knocked out another Grainline Moss skirt, and I’m pretty pleased with how the two garments look together.
For the top, I used a pattern that I’ve had for a couple of years but have never made up. It’s Burda 7970, simply described on the pattern envelope as a close fitting t-shirt. The smallest size was a 38 which is technically a size too big for me, but since I wanted a relaxed look, it turned out to be perfect. Rather oddly, this pattern includes bust darts, which I think is a bit weird for a knit garment. I considered eliminating them but in the end I like the subtle shaping they provide. One change next time would be to raise them an inch as they are quite low on me.
Modifications that I made to the pattern before making this up were to raise the front neckline 8.5cm/3.5″, as the original pattern is very scooped and I wanted to have a boat neck. I drafted facings, which I interfaced and stitched down by machine. This is a look I’ve been really into lately, and I plan to incorporate it in future knit makes. I think that as long as the knit is pretty stable it works really nicely. I also shortened the top by about 4″. This pattern includes a dress length too, so I’ll be making a dress version as soon as I have time! We are going overseas soon and I think some more knit tops and dresses will be perfect for travelling. I used my sewing machine to sew all seams for ease of stripe matching, then finished everything on the overlocker. The hems were done with a small zig zag.
I don’t have too much to say about the Moss skirt, except that I love this pattern!! It’s so easy and quick to put together. I think I did the cutting one night, and all the sewing the next. I made it up in a black corduroy that I got on sale at The Fabric Store. I think that all up this skirt cost about $10! I’m really happy with how the fly turned out, I think it’s my best yet, and I used a really nice Riri zipper and a cool textured gold metal button. Sewing satisfaction!
In in case you were wondering, these photos were taken atop Mt Eden, one of Auckland’s volcanic cones. Turns out blog photos feel a lot less awkward in a tourist location swarming with other people wielding cameras!